Saturday, May 29, 2010

THE ULTIMATE TEXAS BEACH TRUCK















This actual Texas Beach Truck appears on the page of a great guide in Port Aransas, and since I'm having problems posting links here, google him at *UPDATE*



The vehicle shown above is really the ultimate in simplicity and functionality for a beach fishing vehicle. I could end up with something like this, based on a Chevy or Ford or somekind of one-off.


Let's look at this fellow's setup and see what he's got going for him, other than a nice bunch of reds and speckled trout from the Gulf of Mexico at Port Aransas. A rolled up foam sleeping pad, in case he wants a nap under the shade of the plywood on top of the rack covering the bed of the truck. Some seating for the fisherpeople to ride down the beach looking for the birds or schools of shrimp or mullet or gamefish in the waves.
You've got your BBQ pit, some ice chests, some sort of piroue looking canoe or kayak or absurdly large wooden surf board (good for rescues, though), a bunch of big straw sun hats and rods and reels handy and ready to deploy. Of course, tackle boxes, chairs, etc all fit back there.
When he sun got too much, I'd also be having my chair up under that covered bed of that truck for some sun relief while my bait was waiting.

So now when I go down this certain street I see this very cool old 4x4 that I can't help but think could be a great fishing truck, although it'd be too much work and money and hard to find parts compared to other vehicles I'm considering.

There's an early sixties extended utility bed Chevy 4x4 that's been lifted and appears to have multiple issues and axle/transfer case woes. It's propped up in an auto yard I pass every now and then. I've seen it running in years past, and seemed like it drove pretty well. It's been hiked up on one axle with wheel off for 3 years now. It's no beauty, somewhat rough but with an okay body and glass. But I bet he wants more than I need to pay for it. The coolness factor can overwhelm in a vehicle search.

If the old Chevy 4x4 is running well otherwise, but needs some sort of major axle repair or more, sometimes deals could be had. It's voluminous big bench seat could hold three at any time in relative comfort, as it's a wide ride. It has a long bed and it's quite wide, sort of like a stepside but wider.

Who knows. We've put feelers out for interesting serious 4x4 trucks with either original owners and/or older low milage rides as well as any deals or known vehicles that others own for a deal.

The truck we want to have will be rugged enough for Texas beach wandering and fishing but also for some Hill Country LCRA trails and various friends places and ranches and the like all over Texas.

So it'll have to ford some smallish creeks or very small rivers at established shallow crossings possibly, certainly up to a foot or two of water at times on low water crossing bridges and a wide variety of inclines and surfaces that these old trails and roads and paths that I've fished on time and again.

It doesn't have to be fast just strong and stout. I'm a grandpa driver on the highway anyway, so if it'll do the limit I'm great. I recall a trip to San Antonio from Houston in a friend's FJ60 LandCruiser with a 4 speed, at about a max speed of 65. I was glad it had air, not really ENOUGH air for that July trip, and it got hot in that cab from the tranny. Whew.

So I'm thinking that our version of the Texas Fishing Truck is going to have some really serious Air Conditioning. I've known several fellows who have mounted smaller electrically powered a/c units on the top of their SUV or truck camper tops to have a Air Conditioned respite and sleeping spot at fishing and hunting camps. These guys either run small generators or have a bank of batteries for the a/c, so they don't run their car all night.

El Fisho

No comments:

Post a Comment